Home » » How To Make A RAW Pie

How To Make A RAW Pie


An Easy-to-Make Raw Pie Recipe

I like to think of this as the ultimate raw pie recipe. The inspiration came when I saw a photo of a Pavlova cake, which is basically a white meringue base topped with whipped cream and berries.

Nothing hard, but so fancy! I even found a vegan meringue mix, but turns out that the Australian company selling the mix is nowhere to be found in Europe. 

I didn’t gave up, but I wanted it right now, so I started thinking of alternatives. Raw pie sounded like one. I found the best whipped cream recipe made from coconut. Then I created the pie base, using peeled almonds and cashew nuts. And then I added the finishing touches: homemade blueberry jam and fresh berries.

I hope you like it as much as I did! 

For the Base

Ingredients
  • 1 cup soaked & peeled almonds
  • 1 1/2 cup raw cashews
  • 1/3 cup liquid sweetener (agave or honey)
  • 1/4 teaspoon of salt
Instructions

1. Soak the almonds for 24 hours and peel them if you want white pie base.
2. Pour everything into the food processor and blend for 1-2 minutes, until it starts sticking together and forms a ball. If your sweetener is not in liquid form, add a little bit of water.
3. Divide the dough into 6 equal pieces for 5 inches (13 cm) pie forms.
4. Place plastic foil in the pie forms, wet your hands and spread the dough in the forms.
5. Dehydrate for 18 hours at 115°F  (46°C). At some point, remove the base from the pie forms to dehydrate it evenly, I did it after 12 hours to make sure it’s hard enough and won’t collapse.

For the Filling
  • 1-2 cups home made blueberry jam
  • 1 can coconut milk/cream
  • 1/3 vanilla bean
  • 4 teaspoons sugar (I used coconut blossom sugar)
  • 1 cup mixed berries

Instructions

1. My personal advice for the jam is to use vegan cooked jam. But if you want to keep it all raw, mix blueberries with de-pitted dates, blend and dehydrate with the base, but in a different pot.
2. Instructions with photos for the coconut whipped cream can be found here. You can beat it with your food processor, but do it at least for 3-4 minutes. I whipped it for only 2 and found it was a bit too liquid. Also, it will help if you place the bowl for 1-2 hours in the fridge before and after whipping the cream.

Assembling

1. Spread the jam on the base, do it carefully using 2 spoons.
2. Add the whipped cream on top.
3. Top with fresh berries.
4. Enjoy the raw pie moderately. It’s addictive :)
5. Makes 6 raw pies.

Photo Credit: Shutterstock

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © Healthy Natural - All Rights Reserved
Proudly powered by Blogger